Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Argumentum ad Nauseam

Argumentum ad Nauseam


Argumentum ad Nauseam or the argument by repetition is the logical fallacy  that if a lie is repeated frequently it will become true. It is frequently used in politics, Joseph Goebbels who was the reich minister of propaganda for Nazi Germany stated: “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”


Although what Goebbels described is a technique employed in politics, this concept is used in all other walks of life. Unfortunately humans are very gullible and are willing to believe almost anything especially if it’s something negative about someone. I have come to realize recently how I have been the victim of this. Some of lies that have been told about me in different areas in my life have been farcical.


I believe this is what has happened to me a lot in my life however is not specific to myself. From my experience what I have learnt is when someone is telling you something think about whether or not they have an agenda - are they trying to conceal the truth? have they had a disagreement with someone? do they want to stop someone being successful? are they jealous of this person?


If they do have an agenda then I leave you with this quote:

“Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction.” - Criss Jami.


Adam Henry Magee
@adamhenrymagee
http://adamhenry16.blogspot.co.uk/

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/gQT26pYSnB0jdjmroNfKImDlkKAqFe4cHm3-unw2-YfRqDjKc2HCnlig7DMF5mQx3r1hwLQrN9Qxfk52lBuxhoAV_cL7iRVsCyrOuIlJaWRqOFO5DaAG0CS8i20rB7dbnQ=s1600

1 comment:

  1. What the hell are you on about

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your opinion!