Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Adams Room 101!

Adam’s Room 101: 3 Things I want to Banish!!




I have always enjoys the television program "Room 101" which is a show when celebrities try to persuade the host (Frank Skinner) to put different aspects of life from a variety of categories which they despise into Room 101 (which was a torture room in the novel "Nineteen Eighty-Four"  which comprised "the worst things in the world"). I have decided to take inspiration from the program and list 3 things which I loath and explain the reasons why I would like to put them in Room 101!

1. The idiom "a tender age" being used unnecessarily.

When reading a person's autobiography more than often I find people using the term a "tender age" to describe the age they embarked on an activity. I often the way in which they have used this phrase is not only a sesquipedalian but also tautological. For example I recently read a dancer stating she started something along the lines of "I started Irish dancing at the tender age of 5". I don't understand why the word "tender" is used here? What makes starting dancing at that age a "tender" one?" Why didn't he/she just state "I started dancing when I was 5".

The oxford dictionary explains that the idiom a "tender age" is used "in connection with someone who is young and does not have much experience"an example may be someone leaving home at a young age or becoming a mother at a young age. Describing starting dancing at 5 is not a "tender age" because it is normal to start a hobby at that age. It is also tautological because we know that 5 is a young age so using the word "tender" to describe the age of 5 is unnecessary it is like using the word female to describe a widow.

2. Offence being taken over "The Twelve" in Northern Ireland

I have lived in Northern Ireland all my life and not once have I had any hassle in regards to being a Catholic.  Catholics are not discriminated against anymore (legally anyway) and thus are no longer second citizens in Northern Ireland. The Battle of the Boyne which the Twelve weekend celebrates occurred over 3 centuries ago - Catholics taken offence to it appears to me as about as relevant as animal rights campaigners taking offence to the St. Patrick's day celebrations since according to legend he chased all the snakes out of Ireland.

Besides that the history of the battle is much more intricate than a simple "Catholic vs Protestant" battle. I read about the history and I found that the the Protestants had a significant mandate to go to war. If it wasn't for the battle of the Boyne the "Bill of Rights" would not of been instilled which devolved more power from the Crown to the government. Thus tyrannical rule of the Monarch would still be in place, since a lot of Irish Nationalists/Republicans are anti-monarchical by nature they should actually be thankful for this battle, as should any one is is pro-democracy and liberty.

I know this is quite a controversial view to have and it is still a very touchy subject and I do not mean to cause offense to anyone by this. I do believe most people who celebrate the twelve just want to enjoy themselves and are not sectarian. I know there may be some who do want to cause trouble and antagonize the Catholic community, however in this instance I think turning the other cheek is the right attitude to have.

3. Media being overtly Critical and Judgemental on Celebrities parenting skills

I was recently reading an article on Demi Moore and her daughters after a young man died in their pool. I found myself feeling sympathetic towards her children and herself. Celebrity's children seem to gain much negative attention for engaging in activities that would seem normal to any other teenager or young adult. It is normal for teenagers and young adults to party and to experiment with alcohol, drugs and sex - parents have invariably little or no control over whether their child chooses to engage in these activities. Thus I do not see why they should be criticised for it. Another example which really angers me is people pointing the finger at Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown over their daughter. Although both Whitney and Bobby publicly battled addiction problems I do not think it is fair to blame them for their daughter's actions or to state that they were bad parents. Nobody is perfect and Whitney and Bobby certainly never claimed to be perfect. The biblical teaching "let him without sin cast the first stone" I believe is the right stance to take.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your opinion!